Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith Litigation
< BACK TO OUR PRACTICE
Shendell & Pollock, P.L. has extensive experience counseling and defending insurers regarding complex insurance coverage matters, including serving as coverage and monitoring counsel for national and international insurance carriers in major coverage litigation. Working closely with insurance company management, claims professionals, and legal staff, we provide advice to clients on the full range of policy and coverage defenses, conduct trials of coverage issues, handle appeals, and represent companies in mediations and arbitrations. Our Insurance Coverage and Litigation Group has a cost-effective and creative case management approach to coverage disputes.
Coverage Litigation: Our Insurance Coverage and Litigation Group handles a wide variety of litigation across all product lines, including commercial general liability, professional liability, directors and officers liability, commercial property coverage, environmental risk coverage, homeowners policies, and disability coverage, including issues involving:
• Whether a claim was made and reported during the policy period;
• Whether a claim arises out of the performance of professional services;
• Whether a claim arises out of a “wrongful act”;
• Whether an insured had knowledge of a “wrongful act” prior to the inception of the policy period;
• Whether an insured knew or should have known of the claim prior to the inception of the policy period;
• Whether an insured breached its duty to cooperate under the terms of a policy;
• Whether an exclusion for a fraud or dishonest acts applies;
• Whether an exclusion for a claim made by an insured against an insured applies;
• Whether there is a duty to prosecute or defend an appeal;
• Whether there was a misrepresentation in the application for insurance;
• Whether an insured complied with the notice provision of a policy;
• Whether a claim arises out of an insured obtaining unearned remuneration;
• An insurer’s right to recoup non-covered defense costs;
• An insurer’s right to defend through counsel of its choice;
• The nature and extent of an insurer’s duty to settle within policy limits.
Bad Faith Litigation: Our Insurance Coverage and Litigation Group is experienced in evaluating bad faith and other extra-contractual liability claims asserted against insurers and in representing insurers in trials and appeals of bad faith actions involving, among other things:
• Allegations of inadequate investigation;
• Allegations of unreasonable failure to defend or indemnify;
• Allegations of unfair or improper claims handling;
• Allegations of unfair settlement practices or failure to settle within policy limits.
Our insurance practice also represents insurers with respect to other types of extra-contractual claims, including:
• Claims involving loss control and risk management services;
• Alleged conspiracy claims;
• Alleged improper hiring or supervision of contractors;
• Alleged breaches of fiduciary duties;
• Alleged violations of insurance regulations;
• Alleged fraud and misrepresentation.
Mark Heinish has received his certification from the Supreme Court as a Circuit Mediator. Congratulations!
March 07, 2014
Shendell & Pollock Partner, Brett R. Bloch, gets interviewed by the Nancy Grace Show regarding the "Tijuana Taxi" case.
March 6, 2014
New Attorney Hire : Blair Hyman, Welcome to the team!
February 20, 2014
Recent Legal Alerts
Florida Courts Invalidates Ex Parte Communication Provision of Florida's Medical Malpractice Law
December 15, 2013
Gaining Leverage by Challenging Expert Opinions Under the "New" Daubert Standard
October 28, 2013
The Florida Trend of Finding "Good Faith" Claims Practices
November 11, 2013